Please scroll through for recent news and updates regarding training opportunities, the CHW workforce, TGCCPA activities, etc.
The 83rd Legislative Session is underway and lawmakers are currently deciding whether Texas will accept billions of dollars in federal funds for the expansion of Medicaid.
Click below if you agree that Texas should expand Medicaid, allowing 1.5 million currently uninsured Texans to have health coverage and bringing Texas an estimated $6 billion of annual economic benefit.
Simple infograph about Medicaid Expansion in Texas:
Let your voice be heard! Stand up for our uninsured/underinsured residents!
Please click here for the full job description and application instructions for this position!
*** Early Registration has been extended to January 28th - register by the 28th to lock in the lower price for this annual conference! ***
- Date: March 1, 2013
- Location: United Way of Greater Houston, 50 Waugh Dr., Houston, TX 77007
- Continuing Education: DSHS-certified and non-DSHS certified CEUs will be available
- Registration: Now open! For info or to register, visit www.chwconferencehouston.com
- Flyer: Download here
Exhibitor and sponsorship opportunities available! Please visit website for more details.
One of the most important roles you have as a CHW is to be an advocate! Be a voice for your community and let legislators know about your community’s needs and important resources and programs that keep our communities healthy!
See below for different advocacy trainings/events coming up.
March of Dimes Advocacy Day | February 13
March of Dimes is seeking volunteers to participate in their Advocacy Day February 13, 2013! The primary issues for this year are newborn screening, legislation to require licensed childcare facilities immunization policy and pregnancy medical home. Training on speaking points and priorities will be provided to volunteers before Advocacy Day.
This is an all day event; a bus will depart from the Houston March of Dimes office at 5:45am. Volunteer spots are limited and assigned in order of responses received.
Please RSVP to Hallee Winnie, Director of Program Services, email@example.com
2013 Breast Health Advocacy Day | March 4-5
- Where: State Capitol, Austin, Texas; Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott, 5660 N IH-35, Austin 78751
- Who: Anyone interested in improving breast health access in Texas
- What: A two-day event of educational briefings & meetings with state legislators to advocate for breast health issues
For more info & to sign up for free, visit www.BHCTexas.org. Limited scholarships for travel and hotel are available. For questions, contact Kerry Ingram: kingram@BHCTexas.org • 713.777.3200
Planned Parenthood Lobby Day | March 7
Join us for a fun afternoon of networking, celebrating, and learning about TGCCPA’s 2012 activities!
- When: Wednesday, December 12, 2012
- Time: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- Where: Gulf Coast Community Services Association; 9320 Kirby, Houston, TX 77054
- CEUs: 1 DSHS-certified CEU
- RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org (for headcount purposes only; you will not receive a confirmation)
- Flyer: Download here
Please click on the link to see our November 2012 Announcements! This month’s announcements include upcoming training opportunities, TGCCPA events, and a job opening!